With proper monitoring, you can control the usage of any item, and this includes electricity. When you have a separate electric meter for the garage, you’ll be able to monitor and analyze electric usage.
As a result, it’ll get easier for you to minimize your electric consumption and decrease your monthly costs.
While installing an electric meter in your garage, it’s advised to contact your local power supply distribution company. They will check all the legalities and fire codes to ensure your garage is safe.
Again, while installing an electric garage meter, you’ll have to ensure that it’s installed in a convenient place. This will enable you to access and analyze the electric garage meter easily.
Do I Need a Separate Electric Garage Meter for Garage?
Reasons for Installing a Separate Garage-Electric Meter
The primary purpose of using a garage electric meter is to monitor the energy consumption in your garage.
If you’re suddenly noticing a spike in your monthly electric bill, there is a high probability that your electrical appliances are consuming more electricity or you have a faulty electric meter.
As I mentioned earlier, you need to install your garage electric meter in a convenient place. Because this will enable you to monitor the electric meter easily. Also, if there is a fault in the electric meter, you can fix it quickly.
Again, when you have a garage electric meter, you’ll be able to analyze the monthly electric consumption, which will allow you to operate your garage and your home efficiently and reduce the monthly electric bills.
You can check the garage electric meter from Sense. With a smart meter like this, you can monitor your garage electricity consumption from your smartphone.
- While installing your garage electric meter, you’ll have to ensure that you have a padlock. Usually, this padlock is provided by the power distribution company.
- Remove the old lock from your garage electric meter and replace it with a new one.
- Install the garage electric meter in a convenient place where you can access it easily.
- After successfully installing the garage electric meter, you’ll have to know how to read the electric meter. Usually, the first reading of the garage electric meter tells you about the energy consumption on the first day of a month. And the second reading tells the energy consumption on the last day of a month.
- Now, subtract the two readings, and you’ll get the total energy consumption in a month.
- Usually, in most garage electric meters, the first and the second reading is on the left and right side, respectively.
- If your garage electric meter is digital, don’t worry because it has the same interface as a manual one.
This type of electric meter calculates the electric consumption since the day it was installed or reset. Usually, each month, an electric technician from your local power distribution company will check the meter and record the data.
To calculate the monthly electric consumption, you’ll have to subtract the previously registered data from the present data.
This is an advanced garage electric meter and has more functionality than a regular electric meter. With this type of electric meter, you can understand how your garage uses electricity and ways to reduce energy consumption.
As I mentioned earlier, when you analyze the energy consumption accurately, you’ll be able to save more energy, and a smart electric meter helps you do it easily. That’s why nowadays when you need a garage electric meter replacement, it’s replaced with a smart electric meter.
One of the key features of this electric meter is that it calculates the energy consumption digitally and shows a brief reading of electricity usage.
- Up to date information about your garage’s energy usage.
- You can know how to reduce your garage’s energy consumption.
- Automatically transfer data to your power distribution company.
FAQs about Garage-Electric Meter
1. What are the types of Garage-Electric Meters?
2. Is There Any Subtype of the Solar Electric Meter?
3. Can I Install Electric Meter in My Garage?
4. What does an Interval Electric Meter Do?
With a separate electric meter, it gets easier to analyze the electric consumption. That’s why if you don’t have one in your garage, you should consider installing an electric meter in your garage.
Helpful Products For Your Garage
Thank you for reading this article. I hope you found it helpful. Here are a couple of websites I’ve found that have some helpful products I have personally used to organize, maintain, and help add some style to my garage over the years.
These are affiliate links, so if you do decide to use any of them, I’ll earn a commission. But in all honesty, these are the exact products that I use and recommend to everyone, even my own family.
Garagebasics.com – Garagebasics.com does have everything you need to create the most attractive and organized garage on your block. I purchased Garage Basics Diamond garage floor tiles for my new garage floor and I couldn’t be happier with the result.
Click the Garage Basics website link above to find everything from storage racks to garage workbenches and see why this is my go-to site when looking for products to improve my garage.
Dooropenersandmore.com – Dooropenersandmore.com sells a large selection of replacement garage door opener remotes, keypads, and receivers all in one place! When my LiftMaster remote failed last year, dooropenersandmore.com came to my rescue.
I was really surprised at the number of brands they carried and their prices were lower than I could find anywhere else. If you need replacement parts for your garage door remote, keypad, or receiver, click the link above. Plus, shipping is free on orders in the United States!
If you need replacement parts for your garage door remote, keypad, or receiver; click the link above to see why they’re the best.